𝗖𝗼𝗺𝗺𝘂𝗻𝗶𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀 𝗛𝗶𝗹𝗹, named for the 114-foot microwave tower at the summit, has an interesting history. In the late 1800s, José S. Azevedo emigrated from São Jorge Island in the Azores. He purchased 96 acres of land in the area and created a dairy farm known as the American Dairy Company. In 1916, Manuel Azevedo and Manuel Lewis took over the dairy farm. Manuel Azevedo’s nephew, Manuel Bettencourt, managed the creamery after Manuel Azevedo passed away. After Manuel Bettencourt passed away, control of the dairy went to Bettencourt’s nephew, Anthony Bettencourt. In the 1970s, control of the ranch passed to Anthony Bettencourt’s son, Robert J. Bettencourt, who continues to own land in the area through a family trust known as Mta Land Corporation.
The Azevedo Quarry was actively mined by Raisch Products from 1971 to 2006 (reclamation activity continued until 2009). An aggregate recycling facility remains on the land, but it is also expected to shut down in 2023 and be redeveloped into an office park when the county use permit expires.
In 1984, the City of San Jose began preparing Communications Hill, then largely barren, for development into a mixed-use, high density, urban neighborhood and formalized the Communications Hill Specific Plan in 1992. Mta Land Corporation began the process of residential development in 2002. Cornerstone Earth Group, Inc. and/or its staff has been involved with Site development since the early 2000s.