Facebook's Building MPK 21, Menlo Park, CA
Facebook retained Cornerstone Earth Group, Inc. to provide environmental and geotechnical engineering services for a 513,000 SF building similar in design to the adjacent Facebook Building MPK 20 - both designed by Gehry Partners. Gehry's best-known works include the titanium-clad Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, Louis Vuitton Foundation in Paris, France, Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle, New World Center in Miami Beach, Dancing House in Prague, MARTa Herford Museum in Germany, and 8 Spruce Street in New York City, among many others. Like MPK 20, parking will be tucked under the building to hide cars from view and allow more landscaping and less paving. Bridges will join the buildings and rooftop gardens together. The General Contractor is Level 10 Construction (L10), which has built more than 20 million square feet of construction projects in the Bay Area.
Cornerstone's Value-Added Benefits:
- Performed load testing on test piles to verify maximum capacity of piles.
- Selected augercast pressure grouted displacement piles (APGD) piles to lower noise and vibration during installation (as compared to driven pile types), to minimize the generation of soil spoils, and to virtually eliminate the potential for downward migration of contaminated ground water.
- Observation and testing during mass grading, foundation construction, utility trench backfill, and more.
- Soil profiling to develop cost-effective disposal alternatives.
- Coordinated with the Department of Toxic Substances Control and Responsible Parties in Site development activities.